This Air Fryer Falafel recipe is gluten-free, kid-friendly, vegan, and 100 % made from scratch.
I paired it with yogurt-based lemon & dill aioli but if you want to go vegan all the way, serve it with tomato and cucumber salad, or rice.
What is falafel?
Falafel is a deep-fried patty or ball made out of ground chickpeas, fava beans, or both, mixed with spices and herbs. It is usually accompanied with tahini or yogurt sauce, wrapped in a pita.
Falafel is a great source of fiber and protein. It is also high in micronutrients that help support healthy blood sugars. Yet, it is usually deep-fried in oil which raises fat and calories.
Fortunately, the air fryer is a great solution to this problem. It does the same trick but without all the fat. I highly recommend having one!
I like this air fryer falafel recipe because it is quick, easy, and mess-free.
You will need:
- Food processor
- Air Fryer – if you don’t have one, use your oven.
- Dry chickpeas* – It is important to note that dried chickpeas are better than canned because they are not cooked and soaked. If you are using canned chickpeas, make sure to add an egg and a little flour to the mixture so the patty or ball stays together while cooking it.
- Paprika – smoked is best but any paprika is good
- Cumin – I always put a lot of cumin but if you are not a fan half it in the recipe
- Chili Flakes (optional)
How to make the falafel?
– Prepare the chickpeas first. In a large bowl add the chickpeas and a lot of water. There should be 3 inches of water above the chickpeas. Let them soak overnight. I actually soaked them for about 20 hours.
– In a large food processor add all ingredients and grind for 20 seconds increments until the mixture is smooth. Not too smooth though. Just enough to stick together.
– I have a small food processor so I worked in 2 batches. Make sure to mix the ingredients before that so the flavor is even.
– When done leave the mix in the food processor and chill for about 40-45 minutes.
– Scoop with an ice cream spoon from the mixture and form into a small patty or a ball.
– Spray the air fryer with non-stick spray or brush with oil. A lot of recipes call for brushing the falafel with oil as well. I did not do it and they were fine.
– Air Fry at 375 for 10 minutes. Flip the falafels and cook for additional 5 mines.
How to make the Lemon & Dill Aioli?
In a medium bowl add the yogurt, garlic, dill, salt, and pepper. Zest the lemon and squeeze the lemon juice. Mix it in well until it reaches drizzling consistency.
How to arrange the pita falafel wrap?
Heat the pita on the stovetop for a few minutes. No oil, no butter, just a non-stick pan. Cut the pita in half and make a pocket. Place the falafel inside (you can also stuff it with tomato or any other veggie) then drizzle with the lemon & dill aioli.
You are all set with this delicious and homemade food! It takes less than 30 minutes to make and is great for meal prep, simple dinner, or even lunch.
Follow the full recipe below and enjoy!
Healthy Air Fryer Falafel w/ Dill & Lemon Aioli
- Air Fryer
- Food Processor
- 2 Cups Dried Chickepeas soaked (see notes)
- 1 Small Onion diced
- 3 Garlic Cloved diced
- 1 Cup Fresh Parsley chopped
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Ground Coriander
- 2 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes optional
For the Lemon & Dill Aioli
- 1 Cup Plain Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 1/4 Cup Dill minced
- 1 Lemon zested and juiced
- Salt & Pepper
- 6 Pitas
- Drain the soaked chickepeas and pat dry as much as you can. In a large foodprocessor add all ingredients for falafel and grind for 20 seconds. Scrape the sides of the foodprocessor and blend again. Repeat several times until the mixture is crumbled into small crunmbs which stick together.
- Leave the mixture in the fridge (in the food processor bowl) for about 45 minutes.
- Spray the air fryer basket with non stick spray or brush it with oil. Scoop a small amount of the mixture and form a ball. Place in the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes at 375 F. Flip and cook for additional 5 minutes.
Make the Lemon & Dill Aioli
- In a mixing bowl combine the yogurt, dill, garlic, lemon zest, and lemon juice and whisk until it reaches drizzling consistency. Add water if it is thick, 1 tbsp at a time. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and cook the pitas for about 5 minutes on each side. Cut down the middle and open the pocket in the pita. Place the falafel in the pocket and drizzle with the lemon and dill aioli.
Keyword: Air Fryer Falafel Recipe, comfort food, easy falafel recipe, falafel mix, falafel pita, quick recipe