I have been keeping busy for the last week and was thinking of ways I can use my blog to help you make food that is good, flavorful, and healthy.
Meal Prep Ideas
I was talking to someone on Facebook and we were discussing how the meal prep recipes can be a bit boring at times because the ingredients used are not as flavorful as we would like because we try to keep it quick, easy, and healthy.
So, I started working on recipes that are quick, flavorful, healthy, and most important, meal prep friendly.
I do have a new recipe for today that I believe will be a great fit for your next meal prep day. I love comfort food and I do my best to keep it as healthy as possible.
Here are some other meal prep options:
Brown Butter Sage Pasta
I think this Brown Butter Sage Pasta is the perfect substitute for bread in a meal prep meal. It is flavorful, kid-friendly, and extremely quick to make.
We all know pasta holds pretty good in the fridge and if you don’t want to eat it every day you can make it only for a few days of the weekly meal prep.
It goes well with chicken, fish, maybe even a small salad on the side. I like it mostly because of the sage and parmesan.
I usually eat carbs for lunch so this pasta is so perfect for the type of food schedule I created for myself.
The most important aspect of meal prep for me is the cost of the meal. I don’t want to spend crazy money on something that will stay in my fridge for days before I eat it.
On the other hand, I don’t skimp on the freshness and quality of the ingredients.
I know homemade pasta can be a bit time-consuming. Especially if you want it to be vegan and healthier.
I like going to Italian stores where I can learn more about pasta brands and get my hands on some smaller companies that produce fresh and better pasta.
Vegan pasta is a great option. I like Red Lentil Pasta (there are many companies that sell it) or bean-based pasta. Trader Joe’s has a lot of good pasta options as well.
So, here is a great addition to your meal prep pasta recipes.
Ingredients you will need:
- Salted Butter
- Galic – use a whole clove, smashed. If you use chopped garlic it will burn before the sage is crispy.
- Sage – always fresh!
- Capers (they add so much flavor but be careful because they are pretty salty)
- Parmesan – I always recommend Parmesano Reggiano.
- Pasta – use short cut pasta, it will capture the brown butter sage flavor better. Good options are penne, rigatoni, rotini, or shells.
The whole meal will probably take you 15 minutes. It is so quick and easy. Here is a quick step by step.
- Boil salted water and cook the pasta. If you are using freshly made pasta it might take a little longer but if it is dry store-bought pasta it will be ready in 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the brown butter sage sauce. In a small saucepan add the butter, sage, and garlic. Keep an eye on it while it is melting and stir it often. You know it is ready when the sage is crispy and the butter is bubbling.
- Take it off the heat and strain the butter into a small bowl. Chop the sage and smash the garlic. Mix into a paste.
- Transfer the sage and garlic paste to the bowl with brown butter and mix.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and season with salt and pepper (lightly). Pour over the brown butter sage sauce and mix well. Add the capers and parmesan cheese.
Looking for a different pasta recipe? Check out these:
And you are all set! Easy, cheap, healthy, and perfect for meal preps. Follow the full recipe below and let me know if you incorporate it into your meal prep.
Brown Butter Sage & Sage Pasta
- 1 Package Short Pasta such as rigatoni, penne, rotini
- 20 Sage Leaves
- 1 Stick Salted Butter
- 1 Cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 3 Whole Garlic Cloves peeled
- 1/4 Cup Capers optional
- Chili Flakes optional
- Salt & Pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package in salted water.
Make the Sage Brown Butter Sauce
- In a small saucepan add the butter, sage, and garlic. Let the butter melt and the sage to start crisping (about 3-4 minutes). Keep an eye on it and stir often because it burns quick.
- Once it is ready, strain the garlic and sage. Chop the sage and mash the garlic with a fork to make a paste. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Return the mix to the strained brown butter.
- When the pasta is ready, pour the Sage Brown Butter on top of the pasta and mix in the chili flakes and capers. Adjust the taste and add the parmesan cheese at the end.
Keyword: brown butter pasta sauce, comfort food, easy pasta recipe, quick pasta recipe, sage brown butter, sage pasta sauce