It is a cold day in Chicago so I decided to make this chunky homestyle vegetable soup to warm up our souls. It is super easy, quick, and perfect for lunch meal prep.
How to make the best Homestyle Vegetable Soup?
Homestyle Vegetable Soup is good for your body as well as your mind. They are packed with minerals and vitamins that stimulate your brain activity, work on your guts, and maintain your immunity and energy levels.
I love this chunky vegetable soup recipe because it is easy to make and comes together in less than an hour.
Vegetables and other ingredients you need to make this Chunky Vegetable Soup
You will need a bunch of veggies (duh!) and you have the absolute freedom to choose them yourself. I do think that there are some musts to achieve amazing flavor.
- Dried Herbs – I used dried thyme, rosemary, oregano, and bay leave.
- Green Cabbage
- Lemon Juice – fresh lemon juice is always better because there is sugar added to the bottled one.
- Sea Salt
- Lemon Pepper – I sometimes use lemon pepper because it adds a bit extra flavor.
Making this chunky vegetable soup is so easy. First, chop everything into square pieces. Then sear for a little in a large pot over medium heat, add the spices and the veggie stock. Bring to boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. Done! Follow the full recipe below for details.
What to pair this Garden Vegetable Soup with?
Pro Tip: Save the scraps from all the chopped vegetables and make homemade veggie stock with them.
How to store garden vegetable soup?
Store this garden vegetable soup in the fridge in an air-tight container. It will last up to a week. I also like to freeze some of it because it makes a big batch and doesn’t want to get sick of eating it.
Transfer to an air-tight container and let it cool off to room temperature. Then put in the freezer and keep in there for up to a month. When ready to enjoy some homestyle vegetable soup thaw before heating it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Garden Vegetable Soup
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1/2 Green Cabbafe shredded
- 2 Potatoes cubed
- 2 Celery Sticks chopped
- 3 Carrots peeled & chopped
- 3 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 Zucchini chopped
- 1/2 Cup Corn
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Cup Cilantro minced
- 6 Cups Veggie Stock
- Salt and Lemon Pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot to medium heat. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil and add the onion, celery, carrots, and zucchini. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion is transparent and the carrots are soft.
- Add the cabbage, corn, and garlic. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add the bay leaf, paprika and oregano and mix well. Season with salt and lemon pepper.
- Add the potatoes and the vegetable stock and bring to boil. Bring the heat down to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover and simmer for additional 10 minutes. Add the cilantro and adjust the salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with a few squizes of lemon juice.