Today I am writing a recipe I actually made on the go a little after Christmas with some leftovers.
For some reason, every time I have any leftovers I make tacos. I guess, it is easy to build it and flour tortilla is like bread to me – it goes with everything. Nothing tastes bad with some spicy aioli and avocado on top.
Slow cooker Lamb with Mint Relish and Spicy Aioli
So for Christmas, we had a slow-cooked leg of lamb with a mint relish which is basically mint and green onions added together in malt vinegar. It was so delicious. The leg of lamb was so big that the butcher had to cut it in half in order to fit in my slow cooker. So we ended up having some leftover meat.
Some notes on the ingredients:
I am a huge fan of lamb and to add it to my favorite quick dinner option was just heaven! Here is everything you need for this recipe:
- Lamb meat – leg of lamb will be too much for a weeknight dinner so I recommend either ground lamb (you can cook this on the stove for less than 15 minutes) or a lamb rack or lamb shoulder is usually smaller cut which you can slow cook.
- Mint and scallions – make sure they are fresh and be generous with the amount you put on the taco. It sounds like a harsh flavor but it is absolute perfection.
- Malt Vinegar – you can use red wine vinegar if you have it instead.
- Creamy and spicy aioli can be made with sour cream and any hot sauce. I used Cholula.
Cooking the lamb:
I cooked my lamb in the slow cooker for 12 hours. I did it for so long because the cut was giant and I wanted to make sure it is tender all the way through. The meat should be falling off the bone. If you have smaller cut meat, cook it for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
Not feeling the lamb? Check out these super quick and easy recipes!
Oh, and just one very quick and last note on the lamb. If you are doing ground lamb or a significantly smaller cut of lamb, use the spice mix in portions so you don’t lose the lamb taste.
For the tacos:
All you need for your tacos are some veggies like red cabbage and carrot or skip all of that and enjoy it with just the lamb and the mint relish on top of your favorite tortilla. Follow the easy steps below and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Lamb with Mint Relish & Spicy Aioli
- Slow cooker
- 3 Lb Leg of lamb or any other cut of lamb
- 2 tsp Chili Flakes
- 2 tbsp Cumin
- 4 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 4 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Malt Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- 12 Tortillas corn or flour
For the Mint Relish
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Malt Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Garlic finely minced
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Mint finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup Green Onion finely chopped
For the Spicy Aioli
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp Hot sauce like Chilula or Sriracha
- Salt & Pepper
To make the Lamb
- In a small mixing bowl combine chili flakes, cumin, corriander, brown sugar, and malt vinegar. Pat the lamb dry and put it in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper and add the vinegar mix. Brush it all over the meat. Cook on low for 8-12 hours (depending on the size of the lamb cut).
To make the Mint Relish
- In a mixing bowl combine brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, mint leaves, and green onion. Whisk well. Season with salt and pepper.
To make the Spicy Aioli
- Combine the sour cream, hot sauce and 1 tbsp of water. Whisk until it reaches drizzling consistency. Add more water 1 tbsp at a time if needed. Season with salt and pepper.
To assemble the tacos
- When the lamb is done slow cooking turn off the slow cooker and take out the meat on a large cutting board. Remve the bone and discard it. Pull the lamb meat by separating it with two forks.
- Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds. Spread the spicy aioli on the hot tortilla, then put some of the lamb meat on top and drizzle a little bit of the mint relish at the end.
Keyword: comfort food, crockpot lamb, lamb dinner, lamb recipe, leg of lamb, quick and easy recipes