These delicious and easy-to-make Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Tacos are the best lunch idea for the beginning of the workweek. They are inexpensive, healthy, and take less than 30 minutes to make.
Chicken Teriyaki Lettuce Tacos with Spicy Aioli
These healthy and delicious lettuce tacos don’t require a lot of fuss in the kitchen. You probably already have all the ingredients. I made the teriyaki sauce from scratch so here is everything you need for these chicken lettuce tacos.
For the Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- Soy sauce – Make sure to use low sodium so you can control the flavor. Some soy sauces are way too salty and in the end, it will overpower your dish.
- Vinegar – Rice vinegar is my go-to for this recipe but any other will work as well.
- Sesame oil – this is pretty important for the recipe because it will give it that authentic taste but don’t worry if you don’t have it. You can always use olive oil.
- Cornstarch – I use this to thicken the sauce and prefer it to flour because it is gluten-free.
- Black Sesame Seeds
- Black Pepper
If you don’t feel like making the sauce from scratch read this guide to the best teriyaki sauces and what to use them for.
Bring all ingredients to a boil and simmer for several minutes. Once it starts bubbling bring the heat down to low and continue simmering until the sauce is thickened. And that’s about it! Once you have the sauce ready the rest is pretty easy and quick.
How to make the lettuce tacos?
It is so simple! Cook the chicken, toss in the teriyaki sauce! Done! Assemble the taco with the chicken, black sesame seeds, and drizzle with the spicy aioli.
If you are looking for meal prep ideas this dish is perfect for a busy week. It comes together in less than 30 minutes and is easy to prepare in bulk.
Keep the teriyaki chicken in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week and in the freezer for up to three months. Keep the lettuce in a reusable plastic bag wrapped in paper towels.
Not feeling the teriyaki lettuce tacos? Try these quick lunch recipes instead
- Greek Shrimp & Rice
- Cucumber Avocado Sesame Salad
- Lamb Meatballs Pita Sandwich with Cool Tzatziki Sauce
- Roasted Lemon Vitamin Salad
- Barbacoa Style Beef Tacos
Chicken Teriyaki Lettuce Tacos with Sriracha Aioli
- 2 LB Ground Chicken
- 1 Onion minced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper minced
- 1 Head Boston Lettuce
- 8 Four or corn tortillas
- Green onion for garnish
For the Teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar or any other vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp Fresh Ginger minced
- 4 Tsp Garlic finely minced
- 3 Tbsp Cornstarch or all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp Water
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
For the Sriracha Aioli
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha
- Salt & Pepper
Make the Teriyaki Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, bring to boil the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil. When it bubbles, bring down the heat to low and simmer. Add the cornstarch and water. Continue to cook on low until the sauce thickens, stirring often. About 5 minutes. Stir in the sesame seeds.
Make the tacos
- Heat a large pan on medium heat and drizzle a little of olive oil. Add the chicken, onion, and red bell pepper. Cook until the chicken is cooked all the way through and the onion is transparent. About 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add the teriyaki sauce to the pan with the chicken 1/4 cup at a time. Stir until everything is coated. Turn the heat off and transfer to a bowl.
Make the Sriracha Aioli
- In a small bowl combine the sour cream, sriracha sauce and season lightly with salt and pepper. Add one tbsp of water and whisk until it reaches drizzling consistency. Add more water if needed.
- Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds. Arrange the lettuce on top of the tortilla, then add the chicken mixture and drizzle with the sriracha aioli. Garnish with chopped green onion. Serve immediately!