These Grilled Chermoula Chicken Skewers are so flavorful, delicious, and make a perfect weeknight dinner. You can pair them with a light salad, creamy lemon aioli, or even chop the meat and incorporate it into your favorite pasta. The chermoula marinade is easy to make and so so good! You can use it on fish, as a dressing, or even on holumni cheese!
What is Chermoula Marinade?
Chermoula marinade is a North African sauce and even though the recipes vary a lot most of the time it contains cumin, lemon, or cilantro. The marinade I use for this chicken is super simple and with ingredients, you most likely have in your fridge.
Here is what you need to make this chermoula sauce recipe:
The chermoula sauce recipe is pretty straightforward and inexpensive. However, it does not hold back on flavor and aroma!
- Sweet Paprika – if you can’t find it you can use regular paprika. Avoid the smoked paprika because its smoky taste will clash with the herbs.
- Ground Cumin – if you have cumin seeds simply add a few to a mortar and grind with the pestle.
- Ground ginger – fresh is okay too.
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Cilantro
- Good quality olive oil
How to make the Grilled Chermoula Chicken Skewers?
To make these delicious and flavorful grilled chermoula chicken skewers start by cutting the chicken breast into big pieces. Combine with the rest of the ingredients and mix well. you want the chicken to be entirely covered by spices and herbs.
Marinate it in a bowl in the fridge for up to 4 hours. I have spent my entire life marinating for up to 2 days at a time and realized that 4 hours is totally enough to get all the flavor from the spices.
After the chicken has been marinated for at least 30 minutes, it can be cooked on the grill, roasted in the oven, or simply cook the chunks over medium heat in a large pan.
I arranged the skewers after I cooked the chicken just because I cooked it in a pan. But if you are grilling, you can arrange the skewers before that.
Serve immediately with your favorite side.
To store the chermoula sauce recipe just add the marinade to an air-tight container and keep it in the fridge for up to a week. If you want to freeze, I suggest filling a large icecube tray with the marinade. Wipe the access oil and freeze. When you are ready to use simply take one cube and toss in cooked chicken.
To store the chermoula chicken skewers put them in a plastic zip-lock bag or an air-tight container and keep them in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to a month.
Sides to go with the Grilled Chermoula Chicken Skewers
I love eating this chicken as is with some creamy lemon aioli on the side with rice just like in this delicious Chermoula Chicken Rice Bowl. Here are some sides I’ve tried it with.
More Chicken Recipes
- Harissa Chicken Orzo Pasta with Feta & Mint Salad
- Rosemary Chicken & Pumpkin Risotto
- Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Tacos with Spicy Aioli
Marinated Chormoula Chicken Skewers
- 6 skewers
- 2 Boneless Chicken Breast cubed into medium pieces
- 1 tbsp Sweet Paprika
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Parsley finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro finely chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove minced
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and mix well until the chicken pieces are covered with the marinade.
- Cover with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Heat a large non stick pan to medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the chicken and cook until it is cooked through and golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate and stick on the skewers when it is cool enough to handle.
keywords: chermoula chicken, chermoula sauce, comfort food, how to use chermoula sauce, marinated chicken, marinated chicken breast