I found the juiciest blood oranges for the season so far and I wanted to make something healthy, delicious, and quick. So I made these grilled chicken burger patties over fresh spinach and tomato salad, drizzled with tangy blood orange vinaigrette, roasted potatoes, and garnished with avocado pesto.
How to make the Chicken Burger Patties?
You don’t need much to make these chicken burgers. Just a few good-quality spices and ground chicken. Here are a few substitutes if you need them for the exact same flavor.
- Sweet Paprika – use regular if you can’t find it.
- Summer Savory (chubritsa) – sub for oregano.
- Lemon pepper – mix black pepper and lemon zest if you don’t have it.
- Egg – it gives a softer texture and the chicken doesn’t get dry.
To make the patties I mix everything together and cook in a large pan. I like doing this step last so I am sure the chicken burgers are hot when served.
I like making the patties and freezing them before cooking. But even cooked they are good to be frozen. Wrap the burger pattie in freezer paper or plastic wrap and label. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If you like to keep it in the fridge the prepped uncooked chicken is good just for a day or two. But if you cook the burgers, place them in an air-tight container and keep them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Blood Orange Vinaigrette
This tangy and flavorful summer blood orange dressing is perfect for any salad. This particular kind of orange is not very juicy so I add lemon juice to it as well.
Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Check out some of my other healthy and quick recipes:
Avocado Pesto – What is it and how to make it?
Avocado pesto is literally pesto to which is added avocado. People say it is a healthier version of pesto but I think it is just marketing.
It tastes great, don’t get me wrong. I love freshly made pesto and the avocado gives it creamy texture which makes it perfect for spreading it over bread with an egg on top.
I added it to this bowl so the chicken and potatoes have an ectra layer of flavor. All you need to make this pesto is:
- Avocado – make sure it is ripe
- Fresh Basil
- Pine nuts – skip if allergic or sub for walnuts if you just don’t have it or like it.
- Salt and pepper
- Good quality olive oil
- Parmesan Cheese – I like grading fresh.
Follow the full recipe below to make this delicious chicken burger patties, spinach and tomato salad, and creamy avocado pesto and enjoy!
Chicken Burger Bowl with Roasted Potatoes & Avocado Pesto
- Food Processor
- Bakicng sheet pan
For the Chicken Burgers
- 1 lb Ground chicken
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Summer savory or oregano
- 1 Tsp Sweet Paprika
- 1 Tsp Lemon Pepper
- 1 Tsp Cumin
For the Avocado Pesto
- 2 Avocados
- 1 Cup Fresh Basil
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp Pine nuts
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Chesse grated
For the Blood Orange Vinegrette
- 1 Blood Orange zested and juiced
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1/3 Cup Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
For the Bowl
- 2 Cups Fresh Spinach
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomato
- 1 Cup Red Potatoes quatered
To make the chicken burgers
- In a large bowl combine the ground chicken, egg, summer savory, sweet paprika, cumin, and salt & pepper. Mix well and form 4 small patties.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and drizzle with olive oil. Cook the patties for about 6-7 minutes per side until there is no pink in the middle.
Roast the potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a mixing bowl combine potatoes, olive oil, salt & pepper. Mix well and place on the baking sheet. Roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
Make the avocado pesto
- In a food procesoor add the avocado, basil, olive oil, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt & pepper. Mix on high until everything is well incorporated.
MAke the Blood Orange Vinegretter
- In a bowl combine blood orange zest and juice, lemon juice, olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
Arrange the salad
- To a bowl add the spinach, cherry tomatoes, and potatoes. Drizzle with the blood orange vinaigrette. Place the chicken patties on top and top with the avocado pesto.
Storage: Store the burgers separately from the rest of the meal in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can freeze up to 3 months.