I know I am a day late with Cinco de Mayo recipes but I wanted to make sure this Carne Asada Tostada and Mexican Street Corn Salad are perfect. It is flavorful, easy, and the entire family will love it.
What is Tostada?
Let’s start with the basics. So, what exactly is tostada? If you live in the US you probably already know because Mexican food is very popular here. But for those of you who don’t know, tostada is like a flat and crispy taco. It is usually topped with beans and salsa.
For this Carne Asada Tostada recipe, I did not use the traditional toppings and I decided to play around with the flavors and ingredients. I took the classic carne asada marinade and topped the steak with Mexican street corn salad.
How to make these delicious Margarita Carne Asada Tostadas?
Let’s get cookin’! Here are all the ingredients you will need for this carne asada recipe start to finish:
- Flank Steak – cut into strips
- Orange – I actually had only blood oranges left from a different recipe. Use orange juice, or liquor if this is the only thing you have on hand. You can also use Agave.
- Chili powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Corn or Flour Tortillas
For the Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Sour Cream
- Chili Powder – or flakes
- Cotija cheese – or feta (crumbled)
- Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
To make the carne asada marinade, combine everything in a large bowl or baking dish and marinate for at least an hour. There is no need to leave it overnight since the flavor won’t change much but feel free to do so if you are planning on cooking it the next day.
I like making the Mexican street corn beforehand and in bigger quantities so I can munch on it with some chips. One thing I would say is that the cheese gets creamier if you leave it overnight so careful with that. But, feel free to do so if you prefer prepping it the day before.
After all of that is done you are ready to make your carne asada tostada. Tostada is traditionally fried. Drizzle a little bit of oil on the pan and add the tortillas, cook for a few minutes on both sides and transfer to a plate. Top with the carne asada and the corn, maybe add some radish or avocado.
Enjoy this delicious carne asada tostada recipe with fruity sangria, margarita, or white wine. Follow the recipe below to make it and let me know in the comments how it went! Enjoy!
Check out some of my other Mexican inspired recipes – stressing on inspired!
Carne Asada Tostadas with Mexican Street Corn
- 1 lb Flank Steak cut into strips
- 1 Orange juiced
- 1/4 Cup Olive oil
- 2 Limes Juiced
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Garlic minced
- Salt and pepper
For the Mexican Corn
- 1 Cup Corn
- 1 Tbsp Mayo
- 1 Tbsp Sour Cream
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1/3 Cup Cotija Cheese
- 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 Corn or flour tortillas
For the Carne Asada Marinade
- In a large bowl or baking dish combine the orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, oregano, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper and mix well until everything is combines. Add the steak and cover the dish with plastic wrap. Marinade in the fridge for one hour.
To make the Mexican Corn
- In a bolw combine the corn, mayo, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, cotija cheese, cayenne pepper, and cilantro. Mix well and set aside. Adjust the salt and pepper.
To make the tostadas
- Aftet the steak has been marinating for one hour, heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the steak and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side or until cooked to your desire.
- In a separate pan add the tortillas and heat until they are crispy – about 30 seconds to a minute per side. Watch them carefully because they burn quick.
- Top the crispy tortillas with the carne asada steak and the corn salad. Drizzle with sour cream and top with avocado.