This chermoula chicken rise bowl made of jasmine rice, roasted veggies, and spring spinach and green onion is the perfect weeknight dinner.
This here is the ultimate meal prep recipe. It is quick, easy, and you can make it into a bowl or spread it out on a plate. Your kids are going to love it, your body is going to love it, and you can switch around the ingredients if you decide it doesn’t quite fit with your diet.
What is Chermoula Chicken and how to make it?
This chicken and rice recipe is so easy and the main start of the dish is the super flavorful chermoula chicken which makes you taste buds dance in your mouth!
I have made this recipe before on the blog so I won’t go into a lot of detail about it but follow this link to find out what exactly chermoula chicken is, what you need, and how to make it. It is so easy!
Spring Spinach Salad and Roasted Veggies Ingredients:
I love this part of the chicken rice bowl. The spinach is tossed in good quality aged red wine vinegar with just green onion, olive oil, fresh mint, and seasoned with salt and pepper. It is not pretentious at all but the flavors are so bold and strong that you will want to make more for later.
When you are making this salad pay attention to the quality of your ingredients. I like paying extra attention to the salt and pepper. When you are making a salad with so many strong flavors you don’t want the salt to take away from it so season lightly, try it and they add more if necessary. Always put freshly cracked black pepper.
For the roasted veggies, I used yellow zucchini and red onion but feel free to get creative or clear out the veggie drawer. There is no right or wrongdoing here.
Last, but not least, the jasmine rice – how to make the perfect rice?
I used to be so intimidated by rice. But I love this chicken rice bowl too much. It took me a while to master it and be comfortable cooking without a rice cooker. I like to keep things simple so what I do is I choose the pot first so I can accurately measure how much water I need.
The rice absorbs the water and it expands so make sure that there is always space in the pot for that. After I have my pot, I add the rice and salt, then I add the water. Most packages have accurate instructions written on how much the ratio is.
The golden standard rice to water ratio is 1:2. I measure it a bit differently because every rice is a different size. When I add the rice then I add water until it is two fingers above the rice. Then I stir and bring it to a boil. It is important that you lower the heat right after you start boiling or the water will evaporate.
Assembling the chicken rice bowl and storage
When all veggies are cooked, the salad is tossed and the chermoula chicken is done, arrange the chicken rice bowl. Transfer some of the rice to a bowl or a plate and arrange the chicken on top, salad on one side, and the veggies on top. Enjoy it for up to 7 days if you keep it in an air-tight container in the fridge or up to three months in the freezer.
Find the full recipe below or check out some the other healthy and delicious recipes on the blog.
Chermoula Chicken with Spring Spinach Salad, Roasted Veggies, & Herby Jasmine Rice
- 3 Boneless and skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Paprika
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Fresh Cilantro finely chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove minced
- Salt & Pepper
For the Spinach Salad
- 3 Cups Baby Spinach cleaned
- 2 Green Onions chopped
- 1/4 Fresh Mint
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- Salt and Pepper
For the Roasted Veggies
- 1 Zucchini cut into thin wheels
- 1/2 Red Onion thinly sliced
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Jasmine Rice
- 1/4 Cup Pomegranate Seeds optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the chicken, sweet paprika, cumin, ginger, parsley, cilantro, garlic, salt & pepper, and olive oil. Mix well until all chicken pieces are covered. Cover with a plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for 30 minites.
- Meanwhile, on a baking sheet combine the zucchini, red onion, salt and pepper. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil and roast in the oven for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Make the spinach salad. In a large mixing bowl combine the spinach, green onion, red wine vinegar, mint, olive oil, and season generously with salt and pepper. Toss well to combine all ingredients and keep in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
- Next, cook the jasmine rice. In a medium pot add the rice and 3 cups of water or follow the instructions on the package. Season with salt and bring to boil. Once boiling lower the heat to low and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the water is fully absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cook the marinated chicken. Drizzle a little bit of oilive oil in a large non stick skillet and add the chicken. Work in batches if it doesn't fit all in one. Cook for about 5-6 minutes per side or until there is no more pink in the middle.
- Lastly, assemble the rice bowl. Remove the cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer one cup to a bowl and add the chicken on one side, the spinach side on the other, and the veggies on top. Finish with more chopped herbs and pomegranate seeds.