I took my two favorite foods and combined them in a bowl of flavor which takes me on a mini version of that Italian trip I missed because of 2020 even though Italians don’t see this bolognese pasta recipe as authentic. The ground beef is cooked with perfectly flavored spicy tomato sauce, fresh basil, and grated parmesan cheese. Find out how to make this bolognese pasta, store it, and what to enjoy it with.
What is Bolognese Pasta?
Bolognese pasta is a pasta dish made usually with spaghetti or short pasta, ground beef cooked with tomato sauce, onion, and spices.
It is funny how this dish is so popular everywhere but in Italy. Italian people don’t see it as an authentic Italian dish. However, it is super delicious, easy to make a weeknight dinner.
I put my own twist to a classic bolognese recipe – I love truffle oil sauces so I added a bit of it to this recipe. But don’t worry, It is not so much that overtakes the dish, it is just enough to give that umami flavor.
Here is all you need:
- Short Cut Pasta – I used Penne but you can use whatever you have.
- Ground Beef – the leaner the better.
- Truffle Oil – the star of the show. It has a very low smoking point which means it can burn quickly or lose its taste. I did not cook with it. I stirred it in the pasta when I drained it. This will keep it flavorful and prevent sticking.
- Tomato Sauce
- Parmesan Cheese – I always keep Parmesano Reggiano in the fridge for pasta. It is definately a bit more expensive than the regular jar of shredded parmesan cheese but it is worht it and the difference is night and day! I strongly reccomend that you invest in good quality parmesan cheese if you cook regularly.
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Lemon pepper – regular black pepper works too as well, but the lemon gives a little extra flavor.
- Fresh Basil – I put a ton of it even though I toned it down in the recipe below.
How to Make Pasta Bolognese?
Here is how you make this delicious truffle oil bolognese pasta recipe. All you need is a large skillet and a pot where you will cook the pasta. It comes together in less than 30 minutes.
- First, cook the pasta in salted water. Follow the instructions on the package or cook for about 30 minutes on medium heat if you have fresh made pasta. Drain when done and add the truffle oil.
- Make the blognese sauce – in a large skillet add olive oil, onion, ground beef, ilalian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Cook until the meat is cooked through. Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes.
- At the end, add the tomato sauce and basil. Bring toboil then lower the heat all the way to low. Simmer for a few minutes or until the sauce thickens a little. Adjust the seasoning and your bolognese sauce is ready.
- Pour the bolognese sauce over the truffle pasta and stir very well. Serve with parmesan cheese on top and garnish with basil.
What to Serve with Bolognese Truffle Pasta?
If you are wondering what to serve with this delicious bolognese pasta, here are some ideas. I usually don’t serve it with anything but when I order it at a restaurant it is served with crispy bread on the side. You can check out this Honey Butter Parker Brioche or this Sage Butter Dinner Roll.
I am not a big fan of that combo though because it is too many carbs. I like pairing pasta with a salad like this Roasted Lemon and Mint Vitamin Salad or with a light side dish like these marinated olives or pickled veggies.
How to store Pasta Bolognese?
If you are making this dish for meal prep you can store it in the fridge for up to 7 days. It definitely stays delicious. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before reheating and if possible use a pan to reheat it not microwave since microwaves alter the taste. Simply add a few tbsp of water and cover for 10 minutes. Let cool in any case of reheating.
Follow the recipe below and enjoy with your favorite wine.
Spicy Tuscan Bolognese Truffle Pasta
- 1 Pack Penne Pasta
- 1 Lbs Ground Beef
- 2 Cups Tomato sauce
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Onion minced
- 2 Tbsp Garlic chopped
- 1/4 Cup Truffle Oil
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil chopped
- 2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and season generously with salt. Cook the penne pasta according to the package.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet drizzle the olive oil and cook the onion until transparent, add the ground beef and garlic and cook until the beef is cooked through. Season with salt, pepper, and half of the italian seasoning. Add the tomato sauce and bring to boil. Bring the heat down to low and simmer for a few minutes.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and return to the pot. Drizzle the truffle oil and add the meat and tomato sauce mixture. Stir well until the meat sauce is incorporated with the pasta. Adjust the seasoning and serve with parmesan and basil.