This cold and delicious Chinese cucumber avocado salad is perfect for the hot days of summer. It is refreshing, slightly salty which reminds me of summer, and extremely flavorful! It is a simple recipe of chopped cucumber and avocado with a generous drizzle of sesame dressing.
Why Avocado Cucumber Salad with Sesame Dressing?
I mean, it is absolute heaven! It is super hot these days in Chicago, and most of the world and even though the heat can’t stop me from cooking all day long, it definitely takes a toll on me.
This super delicious cucumber avocado salad is the perfect remedy for a hot day! Plus, the cucumbers paired with the sesame dressing are just another level of flavor!
Ingredients for Cucumber Avocado Salad
You really don’t need much but here are all the ingredients you need for this avocado cucumber salad with sesame dressing (I can’t decide if the cucumber or the avocado comes first in the name).
- Cucumber – I like English cucumbers because they are less watery than other kinds and the peel is not as thick which means I can leave it on – all the nutrients and good stuff are there anyway!
- Avocado – I like getting it on the green side and let it sit on the counter until I decide it is soft enough. To be honest, I hare soft avocados – they are hard to work with and get bad literally in seconds. So I buy the harderst avocado I can find in the store and monitor it during the week. It usually takes 3 days until it is the way I like it which is not too soft and not too hard.
- Soy sauce – I feel like soy sauce is like red wine vinegar. For some recipes you just want to use the best stuff and for other it is okay to use the generic, most cost effective brand. Well, you want the good soy sauce for this recipe! The better the soy sauce, the better will this salad taste because the cucumber and avocado absorb the flavor. Look for naturally brewed soy sauce in the store.
- Rice Vinegar
- Green Onion
- Aromatics – such as garlic, cilantro, sesame seeds. I added red chili flakes to mine and it had the right amount of spice.
- Sesame Oil – this will give that sesame taste and mixed with the rest of the ingredients will be even more pronounced.
How to make Sesame Cucumber Salad?
It is really not hard or time-consuming to make this sesame cucumber salad. I like to chop everything and then make the dressing on the side.
But here is the secret – if you want the cucumbers to soak all the good stuff in mash them with a rolling pin before chopping into cubes.
The sesame dressing recipe is super easy as well – I add all the liquids in a bottle or jar that closes tightly and shake to make sure everything is mixed. Then I add all the other stuff like sesame seeds and chili flakes.
At the end, I add more dressing than I usually would and toss to combine, then with a slated spoon, spoon out the salad to a different plate and drizzle just slightly with a little bit of dressing.
This way I know all ingredients are coated with the sesame dressing.
More Like This
Avocado & Cucumber Salad with Soy Sauce and Sesame Dressing
- 1 English Cucumber cubed
- 2 Avocados cubed
- 2 Green Onions choped
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Tsp Red Chil Flakes optional
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Enjoy cold.