Za’atar seasoning is the best! It has a nutty and tangy flavor that reminds you of a homecooked meal. The za’atar ingredients are easy to find and super aromatic.
What is Za’atar?
So what is za’atar after all? It is a seasoning used in the Middle East and the authentic version of the recipe varies by region. A lot of families most likely have their own za’atar seasoning recipe which is passed down to the next generations.
The ingredients for this aromatic, nutty, and sesame seasoning are common and you can find them in your local store. From there it’s easy. Here are the za’atar ingredients and everything else you need.
- Mortar with a pestle – I think every kitchen should have one of those. Ever since I started grinding my own spices they are way more aromatic and flavorful. Plus, you can buy whole spices in bulk for cheaper and are just that – no flavors, salt or other stuff added.
- Toasted Sesame Seeds – take a bunch of sesame seeds and simply toast them on top of a hot pan – your kitchen will smell amazing!
- Sumac – I feel like this makes what Za’atar is so don’t skip.
- Oregano – I like using whole leaves and then griding them.
- Sea Salt Flakes – the bigger the flakes the better!
- Dried Thyme
- Olive oil – this ingredient is optional. I add the olive oil when I cook with the seasoning but if you use it on top of a sandwich you can skip it.
How to make Za’atar Seasoning?
Making this seasoning is pretty easy. Take all za’atar ingredients and add them to the mortar or spice grinder. Grind until it is all incorporated and mixed.
What to use Za’atar on?
Za’atar – The Spice We Can’t Stop Sprinkling
- Mortar or spice blender
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Cumac
- 2 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1/3 Tbsp Sea Salt Flakes
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil optional
- Heat a small pan over medium heat and toast the sesame seeds with no oil for about 2 – 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a mortar combine all ingredients except the oilve oil and grind wiht the pestle.
- Store in an air tight container. Drizzle olive oil and mix when ready to serve.