There is nothing better than a good fall pumpkin risotto recipe. If you are looking for a cozy, family-friendly weeknight dinner this Rosemary Chicken & Pumpkin Risotto is the perfect recipe.
This classic risotto recipe is easy and super flavorful. However, I swapped the dry white wine for champagne because it gives the dish a bit more umami flavor and luxury.
What Is The Best Rice For Creamy Perfect Risotto Recipe?
It is true that rice is the most important part of the dish. Use short-grain rice like arborio rice or Carnaroli. They are both high on the starches that make the creamy risotto.
How To Make The Perfect Creamy Pumpkin Risotto?
I admit risotto is pretty intimidating, especially if you are new to cooking. But don’t be afraid, this classic risotto recipe is super easy and straightforward. Follow the steps and basically don’t stop stirring!
- Rise – it is very important that the rise is short grain. I used arborio rice.
- Champagne – or dry white wine. However, the rule is not to use wine you don’t like drinking.
- Chicken stock
- Parmesan cheese – I bust out the good kind because it can either make or break this dish.
- Butternut squash
- Chicken – for this recipe I cooked it in olive oil on the skillet I use for the risotto to add some extra flavor but I like it best when it is slow cooked and then shredded.
- Fresh herbs – I used thyme and rosemary but you can get creative.
- Italian seasoning
Creamy Pumpkin Risotto
- Bring the chicken stock to boil and then simmer until you are ready to start adding it to the rice. Cook the chicken and transfer to a plate.
- Scrape all the goodness off the skillet after the chicken and add the veggies and seasoning. Then add the rice and stir to comnine. This is the moment you want to use to make sure you will be able to transfer the stock one cup at a time and keep stirring.
- Add the champagne and then one cup at a time the chicken stock. Make sure the liquid is absorbed before you add the next cup.
- Try the rice and if it is done add the chicken and the parmesan cheese. All done! You can eat.
Tips For The Best Risotto Recipe
Make sure the pot or skillet you are making the risotto is large enough to ensure each rice grain comes to contact with the heat. This way, it will be cooked evenly.
Bring the stock you are using to boil and keep it hot. Starting with hot liquid will cook the rice while being absorbed.
Gradually add the liquid so it doesn’t turn into one big mush early on. Use a ladder or a measuring cup and add 1/2 to 1 cup at a time.
Add the cheese at the very end right before serving. This way you will avoid rubbery flavor.
What To Pair With Pumpkin Risotto?
- Champagne & Truffle Mustard Shrimp Scampi
- Blood Orange Shrimp Salad
- Mediterranian Lamb Meatballs with Roasted Lemon Salad
Rosemary Chicken & Pumpkin Champagne Risotto
- Large pot or skillet
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock low sodium
- 1 Cup Arborio rise
- 1 Cup Chicken cubed
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Rosemary minced
- 1 Tsp Fresh Thyme
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Small onion chopped
- 1/2 Cup Mushrooms chopped
- 2 Cups Butternut Squash cubed
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic
- 1 Cup Brut Champagne or any dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Parmesan cheese
- Pour the chicken stock in a large pot and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Turn the heat off and cover until ready to be used.
- In a large skillet add a drizzle of olive oil and add the chicken. Season with rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook on both side until cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Without turning off the heat add one tablespoon of the butter. Scrape the burnt pieces off the bottom of the pan. Add the onion, mushrooms and butternut squash. Season with salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. Cook until the onion is transparant and the squash is tender.
- Add the rise and stir to combine. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until it starts to smell toasty. Add the champagne and keep stirring until it is all absirbed.
- Add one cup at a time from the chicken stock while stirring often until the rice absorbs it. Continue adding chicken stock and stirring until the rise is cooked through.
- When the rice is cooked adjust the seasoning and turn the heat off. Add the parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Trasfer to a plate and top with more parmesan. Serve immidiately.