This delicious and classic beef stew paired with cranberries and fresh herbs is the best weeknight dinner. I love making it in the crockpot and serving it over rice or eating it as a soup.
This healthy Mediterranean stew requires a crockpot and I love using mine in the winter. It makes my kitchen so warm and cozy.
The fresh scent of this beef stew paired with dry red wine, beef stock, and spices is accompanied by a heavier smell of the beef. Here are a few tips on the main ingredients. You can find a detailed recipe below.
- Beef – I usually buy chuck roast for crockpot dinners, hoever, you can use top round or bottom round roast. You can also ask the butcher at the store for help. They will be able to help with substitutes.
- Herbs – I have found that tieing a bunch of whole herbs together in a small bouquette works magic on the flavor withough the overpowering sensation of the their texture when dry. Place them in the pot last and remove first.
- Cranberries – they will give a bit of a tart taste but not overpowering. If you want to taste the cranberries more, pop them with the back of the fork when the stew is done cooking. The juice will reliece into the liquid.
- Wine – I usually dring dry wine so that’t the one I cook with as well. Of course, the one you have is fine as well. However, I would recomend using dry wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon or French Malbec because the cranberries already add natural sugar to the beef stew. If you want to try a sweeter wine, Pinot Noir should still add a good flavor.
- Spices – feel free to get creative. Taste as you go and add to it. Every stew comes out different depending on your taste. I have added standard mesurments on my recipe but sometimes I like it more seasoned than other times.
What to pear Cranberry Beef Stew with?
Stew or Soup
I think there is a big misconception of what is a soup and what is a stew. And to be frank, they are pretty much one and the same dish and the only difference is the amount of liquid used. The soup is made with 8 or more cups of water and the stew requires about only 4.
How to Store Beef Stew?
I love making this crockpot beef stew in big batches so I can use it for meal prep or freeze half of it for later. It holds great in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Looking for more Sunday Dinner Inspiration? Check out the list I put together with my best family-friendly recipes.
Cranberry Beef Stew
- Slow cooker
- 2 lb Chuck Roast
- 1 Onion thinly sliced
- 1 Cup Mushrooms quartered
- 1 Cup Cranberries
- 2 Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary chopped
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cup Red Wine
- 2-3 Cups Beef Broth
- Salt & Pepper
- Pat the beef dry and season generously with salt and pepper on all sides. Preheat a large skillet to medium high and drizzle with vegetable oil. Sear on all sides for about 30 seconds-1 minute.
- Trnasger the beef to a crockpot and add the rest of the ingredients saving the liquid for last. Give it a good stir to combine everything and cover. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- When ready, transfer to a bowl and garnish with parsley or cilantro. Enjoy!