It is Monday again and if you are wondering what to cook this week that is quick, easy, and inexpensive then this Italian Sausage Pasta Dinner is going to make your list for sure! Cooking Italian sausage is so simple and it doesn’t compensate for the flavor.
How to cook Italian sausage Pasta Dinner?
This Italian sausage pasta dinner recipe is so delicious, stores well, and everyone in your family will love it. And the best part is that you can cook Italian sausage in the oven. Literally, done in less than 30 minutes. Here are a few notes on the ingredients and the cooking process.
- Italian sausage – I used spicy because I love the heat but they have mild as well. When cooking make sure to gently slice a few times on the top so the casing doesn’t burst. The casing will shrink while cooking and you don’t want it to rip.
- Vegetables – I used mushrooms, onion, garlic, and added the spinach at the very last moment so it doesn’t shrink too much.
- Pasta – All pasta is good for italian sausage. However, I prefer short cut pasta to go with it.
- Seasoning and sauce – for this particular italian sausage pasta recipe I made the sauce out of spices, herbs, and starchy water I saved from cooking the pasta. That is completely enough since the italian sausage has such a rich flavor.
The full breakdown of the ingredients is at the bottom of the post in the recipe snippet.
Cooking italian sausage
Pop the Italian sausage in the oven – it will be done in less than 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted water, the veggies in olive oil in a large skillet.
To make the sauce, I added spices and herbs to the vegetables. Then I started adding the starchy water. It will start forming a sauce quickly so be careful how much water you add. I advise you to start with a quarter of a cup and add more if needed.
I love cooking Italian sausage in the oven because it is so quick, mess-free, and it is always cooked all the way. A full breakdown of the steps is in the recipe snippet at the end of this post.
Storing this delicious Italian sausage pasta dinner is easy. Simply, add the leftovers to an air-tight container and keep them in the fridge for up to a week and in the freezer for up to a month.
Zesty Italian Sausage Pasta Dinner
- 6 Italian Sausages spicy
- 1 Pack Bow Tie Pasta
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Cup Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Cup Fresh Spinach
- 1 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp Dried Marjoram
- 2 Tsp Sweek Paprika
- 2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Lemon Pepper
- 1 Cup Parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- Fresh Parsley chopped, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil to prevent mess. Arrange the sausages on top and with a sharp knife make several cuts. Roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once boiliing, season with salt and add the pasta. Cook according to the package. When the pasta is done save one cup of water. You will need it for the pasta sauce. Drain the rest.
- Meanhile, heat a large skillet to medium heat and drizzle with olive oil. Add the onion and mushrooms. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the onion is transparent. Add the garlic and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta, oregano, marjoram, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. It will seem dry so add the water 1/4 cup at a time until the entire pasta is covered in the sauce made of the spices and starchy water.
- Add the parmesan cheese and the spinach. Toss to combine one more time and transfer to a plate. Place the sausage on top or on the side. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and more parmesan cheese.