These delicious, light, and easy-to-make cold marinated chickpeas are tossed in an aromatic and flavorful tropical dressing made of mango, ginger, and spices.
Chickpea bowls are easy, fill, and can be eaten hot or cold. I chose to serve this as a cold salad since the Mediterranean flavors are so summery and refreshing.
How to marinate chickpeas?
Marinated chickpeas are just as delicious as any other ingredient kept in a delicious marinade. I usually make this greek marinade ahead of time and use it whenever I am making chicken or these delicious chickpeas.
Quick lunch? Try Grilled Brie Cheese Sandwich With Pear
Ingredients for the Greek Chickpeas:
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice – I also add the lemon zest for some extra tangy flavor.
- Olive Oil – bring out the good stuff. The quality of the olive oil is important since the marinated chickpeas are not cooked after that. The flavor should be light, and aromatic, and the taste of the oil should not linger too long in your mouth. I love Terra Delyssa’s Olive oil.
- Fresh Basil
- Salt & Pepper
Simply add all these ingredients to a mixing bowl, and toss to combine all flavors. Cover with a plastic wrap or transfer to a container that closes airtight. Keep in the fridge for up to a week. When you want to use the greek marinated chickpeas just take them out and add them to rice bowls, salads, or tacos.
Tropical Mango & Ginger Dressing to go with the Marinated Chickpea Salad
I love this dressing so much that this is the fifth recipe I pear it with. I will write a whole post dedicated to this dressing but for now, I’ll add it to this recipe. Here is the ingredient list.
- Lime Zest
- Sweet Paprika
- Salt & Pepper
I used the food processor to mix everything. Add water to thin it out a bit if you think it is too thick or clumpy. Just make sure to add one tablespoon at a time so it doesn’t become too liquidy.
Easy Homemade Basil Pesto Recipe
Let’s Assemble the Chickpea Rice Bowls!
These chickpea rice bowls are so easy to make! If you followed the instructions above you already have the main stars of the show. For this bowl, I made a simple tomato & feta salad to top everything with. Here is what you need for the best chickpea rice bowl!
- Greek Marinated Chickpeas
- Tomato & Feta salad – simply combine cherry tomatoes, feta, and jalapeno for a lil’ spice and parsley. Season with salt and pepper but not too much because the feta is already salty. Oh, and use Bulgarian feta if you can find it. It is firm and salty which makes it perfect for salads.
- Mango & Ginger Dressing
- Jasmine Rice – the recipe requires chilled rice but if you are in the mood for a warmer lunch, that’s delicious too.
- Avocado Slices
- Fresh Parsley
After you cook and chill the rice assemble the bowl by adding the rice to the bottom, followed by the marinated chickpeas and the tomato & feta salad. Top with the mango & ginger dressing and garnish with avocado and fresh parsley. Easy!
What goes with Chickpea Rice Bowls and Other Delicious Recipes
I love eating this chickpea rice bowl as a cold salad and making big batches of it. I like pairing it with freshly baked bread like these fluffy and sweet Honey Parker Dinner Rolls.
Greek Marinated Chickpea Rice Bowl
- Mixing bowls
- Rice cooker or a medium pot with a lid
For the Marinated Chickpeas:
- 2 Cans Chickpeas
- 2 Strings Green Onion chopped
- 2 tbsp Basil chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1/4 Cup Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For the bowl:
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 1/4 Cup Feta crumbled
- 1 Jalapeno seeds removed and minced
- 1 Tbsp Fresh parsley minced
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Jasmine Rice cooked and chilled
- 2 Avocados halved and sliced
For the mango & ginger dressing:
- 1 Mango cubed
- 1 tsp Fresh ginger grated
- 1 Tsp Garlic minced
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 Tsp Sweet Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
To make the Chickpea Marinade:
- In a large mixing bowl combine the chickpeas, green onion, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Toss to combine and adjust the seasoning. Set aside or in the fridge.
To make the Mango Dressing:
- In a blender, combine the mango, ginger, lime zest, olive oil, paprika, salt, & pepper. Pulse until smooth. Add water 1 tbsp at a time if it is thick. You want it to reach drizzling consistency. Adjust the seasoning to your liking.
To make the Tomato & Feta Salad:
- In a mixing bowl combine the tomatoes, feta, jalapeno, parsley, salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine. Adjust the flavor and set aside.
To assemble the bowl:
- Transfer chilled rice to a bowl, on top add the chickpeas, tomato and feta salad, and drizzle with the mango dressing. Toss to combine and garnish with avocado, more dressing, and parsley.