These delicious loaded sweet potato boats are quick, inexpensive, and full of flavor. The za’atar chickpeas are the perfect match to the roasted vegetables and creamy lemon aioli.
I love making these sweet potato boats for lunch or a quick weeknight dinner. My husband loved the bacon bits on top but if you skip them you have a great vegetarian meal.
What are loaded sweet potato boats?
Sweet potato boats are whole roasted sweet potatoes literally loaded with goodies on top. You can add whatever you like but for this recipe, I made my favorite chickpeas seasoned with za’atar with my homemade za’atar seasoning, bacon bits, roasted broccoli, and drizzled the whole thing with creamy lemon aioli.
How to make Chickpeas Sweet Potato Boats?
The whole dish contains three major components – the sweet potato boats, chickpeas seasoned with za’atar, and lemon aioli. All you need is a few mixing bowls and a baking sheet or two where you can roast the za’atar seasoned chickpeas and sweet potatoes.
Ingredients for the za’atar seasoned chickpeas:
- Za’atar Seasoning – you can find it on Amazon or make my homemade version.
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Ingredients for the Sweet Potato Boats
- Sweet Potatoes – make sure they are bigger so you have space for everything.
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
Ingredients for the Lemon Aioli:
- Sour Cream – Greek yogurt works too.
- Lemon juice – fresh is always better.
- Fresh Dill – dried is okay too.
- Garlic Powder – or fresh chopped garlic.
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper – I sometimes use lemon pepper for better flavor.
Extra stuff to load the sweet potato boats with:
- Bacon Bits
- Roasted Broccoli
- Shredded Cheese
Let’s put it all together!
I like to start with preheating the oven and roasting the sweet potatoes first. Slice them in half and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and line on the baking sheet. Roast for about 3-40 minutes.
Meanwhile, line a different baking sheet with paper towels. Drain the chickpeas and spread them all over the paper towels. Let the paper soak the liquid and discard it after a few minutes.
After the chickpeas are dry, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle the za’atar seasoning all over and toss to combine. Roast in the oven for about 10-15 minutes. They should be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Next, whisk the sour cream, dill, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Add more water 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches drizzling consistency.
Finally, put the sweet potato boats together. Fluff the flesh of the roasted sweet potatoes with a fork and add the chickpeas on top. Drizzle with lemon aioli and load with the bacon bits, roasted broccoli, and cheese.
How to store loaded sweet potato boats?
You can keep the boats as they are in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week. I sometimes deconstruct them for an easier warm-up.
I’ve never had to freeze these because we go through them very quickly so I can’t give any input on freezing sweet potato boats. However, feel free to try and report it in the comments.
What to pair za’atar chickpeas with?
Follow the detailed recipe below and enjoy! I would love to see how your sweet potato boats turned out so please share on social media by tagging my blog @thepineapplecooks. Or leave a comment below.
Loaded Za’atar Chickpeas Sweet Potato Boats With Lemon Aioli
- Mixing bowls
- Roasting sheet
- 1 Can Chickpeas drained
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Za'atar Seasoning
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice plus more to think out the aioli if needed
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Black Pepper
Sweet Potato Boats
- 6 Sweet Potatoes
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
Sweet Potato Boats
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Cut the sweet potatoes in half and pierce with a fork all over. Line on a roasting sheet pan skin side down and drizzle with olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for about 30-40 minutes or until tender in the middle.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a roasting sheet pan with paper towels. Drain the chickpeas and spread them over the paper towels. Soak as much liquid and you can. You can leave them for about 10 minutes. Transfer the chickpeas to a mixing bowl and dicard the paper towels.
- In the mixing bowl combine the chickpeas, olive oil, za'atar seasoning, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine and spread over a roasting sheet pan. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes or until crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl combine the sour cream, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Wisk until smooth. Add more lemon juice or water unti it reaches drizzling consistency.
Assemble the Loaded Sweet Potato Boats
- When the sweet potatoes are done roasting ruffle up the flesh with a fork so it is easy to scoop. Load them with the spicy chickpeas and drizzle with the lemon aioli.